Slim fitting jeans skirt with a back split and shaped waist band. This is a pattern that we would advise making a toile first, firstly to adjust the fit if needed but secondly to familiarise with the pattern instructions. We have not used a traditional run and fell jeans seam, we have chosen instead to topstitch the seam, which is easier to achieve on a domestic machine.
This is a multi-size paper pattern in an envelope, including sizes 6 – 18. 1.5cm seam allowance is included in the pattern unless otherwise stated.
We recommend using 8-12.5oz denim (up to 14oz with a heavy duty sewing machine)
You will also need:
- Matching thread
- 7″ metal jeans zip
- Jeans needle
- Large eye sewing needle
- Plain cotton fabric for pocket bags
- Heavy duty contrast thread/top stitching thread
- Matching standard contrast thread (to use in the bobbin)
- 1 x button approx 18mm
A note about pre washing your denim:
We recommend pre washing your denim before sewing. Putting a large piece of medium-heavy weight denim into the washing machine can sometimes lead to white creases in the denim, this is because it is a stiff fabric so it doesn’t have room to move around. We recommend doing the following to help this not to happen:
- Wash your denim on its own for the first wash. You don’t need to use detergent if you don’t want to.
- Wet the fabric first before putting it into the drum.
- If you can break up your denim fabric into half this will help. Or if you have your pattern already you may be able to break it into smaller parts by looking at the lay plan – leave some wiggle room!
- For the first wash use a delicate 30 degree cycle with a low spin.
- If any white creases develop ironing whilst still damp will help.
- Do not tumble dry.